Home Additions & Building Permits
Prior to planning your home addition, it is important to consult with Mario as per your desired outcome. Home additions require building permits because of the scope of the work involved. The bigger the project, the more consideration required by the city.
Acquiring Building Permits
A building permit is a formal permission by the city to begin construction, demolition, addition, or major renovation on your property.
The city must review your plans to ensure that they comply with the Ontario Building Code, Local Zoning Bylaws, and other related laws.
The purpose of the building permits is to regulate the type of construction allowed in a particular community and to ensure that minimum building standards are met to comply with safety of the homeowners as well as the surrounding neighborhood.
As the building owner, you are responsible for complying with all building requirements.
When is a permit required?
- constructing a new building, including temporary and farm buildings
- renovating a building
- constructing an addition to a building, including sunrooms
- building a deck
- altering the interior of a building, including finishing a basement
- moving a building
- demolishing a building
- changing the use or occupancy of a building
- building a fireplace, install a woodstove or install a chimney
- altering or modifying a plumbing system
- installing a sprinkler system
- installing a fire alarm system and/or
- constructing a retaining wall
Consult with Mario about acquiring your building permits within your region.
To read more about building permits, time frames & additional key factors here are few quick resources:
- Building Permits Toronto
- Building Permits Vaughan
- Building Permits Richmond Hill
- Building Permits Mississauga
- Building Permits Milton
Or find the city permit near you.
There are great benefits to adding an addition to your home, whether it is a second floor addition or a garage addition or a new deck. You are truly giving value to your home and creating new interiors & exteriors that will feel as if you have moved to a new home. The key here is to work with your budget and the rest we will take care of.
Mario Home Renovation is ready to undertake your home addition project. Contact us for free in home consultations.